Friday, April 23, 2010

MacarOn: Ma Petite Mervielle















(photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

When I get my breakfast in the morning, I pray the macarons have not been put out yet. They tease me from the display case. They know I am attracted to their colorful, round physiques. Little high pitched voices squeak, "buy me..." and I do... I buy THREE or FOUR at a time. The lady behind the counter knows by now I can't help myself. She apologizes, but quickly makes change of my money.

There is so much debate around the source of the Macaron, their delicacy perplexing even the most astute chef. Who wouldn't want to take credit for these small nuanced confections?

They are complete perfection in my small humble world. The play of contrasting textures on the palate while enjoying the first bite into the crisp meringue shell followed by the sweet almond paste in the center of each well-shaped dome. I am caught off-guard by the unexpected fillings and the richness of the color. They are my afternoon delight, a moment where hope seems attainable.

There are available (second-hand) at Frame Cafe, the closest thing to gourmet we have at 34th and 10th, but you can purchase them directly from MacarOn Cafe on 36th and 7th.





Purple: Lavender Honey
Pink: Rose Litchi
Tan: Creme Brulee

But beware, they are wonderfully addictive and cost a pretty penny.
($1.95-$2.25 ... each)

No comments:

Post a Comment